Friday, October 28, 2011

The Workshop: “Will birds live next to a feeder?”

Occasionally, when I display birdhouses at a local coffee shop, I’m asked where the seeds go, and I assume the person has a desire not only to house birds but to feed them at the same time.

I think it’s a great desire to have, but most of my birdhouses don’t have a spot to place seeds where birds can easily see them.


["A bit of trim is still needed to pretty it up."]


I build feeders with a protective roof and some larger birdhouses that include an open feeding surface (e.g., on a roof, sloping at 5 degrees, or on a separate platform off to the side), and recently I designed a small birdhouse with a protected feeding area - right in the house’s back yard.

I’ll make two or three and see what people have to say. I’m sure, if it’s placed on a 5 - 7 ft. high post in a yard, birds will find it very quickly and begin to visit it to feed.


[Photos by G.Harrison]


["A coat of linseed oil will help it stand up to Canadian winters"]

But will a bird nest in a house that attracts a lot of traffic? I’m not sure, though I don’t feel that it’s likely.

What do you think?

***

Please click here for more thoughts from The Workshop.

.

No comments: