Monday, November 7, 2011

The Workshop: “I have some explainin’ to do... about bats”


[Photo from wikipedia]

["70% of bats consume insects, sharing a large part of natural pest control." www.defenders.org]

By Friday supper time I was ready to bring several new birdhouses indoors. I was also dust-covered and tired.

But I thought they made quite a splash together as they sat outside my back door, waiting to be packed into banana boxes for the next day’s sale.


["Making a splash": photos GH]

My first bat house was the biggest and heaviest and I was pretty sure I was going to get asked several questions about it. So, while packing them up a few statements ran through my mind.


“The bats can enter in two ways. Can you find the entrances?”

“It’s made of new barn board and will hang behind your garden shed, but you’ll need a sturdy nail.”

“I cut grooves every 3/4 of an inch inside the house so the bats can climb inside easily.”

“Mosquitoes? Sure, the bats will eat your mosquitoes.

(A bat will eat half of their body weight per night with lactating females eating more than their body weight per night.” Wikipedia)

“Will I take more than the asking price? Well, only if I must.”

: )

***

Please click here for more from The Workshop.

.

No comments: