Thursday, December 15, 2011

It Strikes Me Funny: PT 4 A squirrel-proof feeder? We’ll see

[“Surely, however, with months of training on lesser (bird feeder) stands, once the critter has a good hold of the rim it will find a way to scramble over. But will it then be stuck, with nowhere to turn? I can only hope.” G. Harrison, PT 3]


["What's happening in my feeder?"]

I actually thought my new bird feeder would withstand raids from a local band of squirrels for at least a few days. Heck, I would have been happy if the feeder had remained squirrel-free for even a few hours.

Soon after I filled the feeder, however, with a lovely selection of mixed seed, I visualized how one ingenious squirrel might get past the metal lamp shade that I’d attached on the support pole to fend off attack. And, shortly after I visualized the scene, a black squirrel visualized the same scene and was up and into the seed bed right under my nose, i.e., while I stood at a nearby window - watching and shaking my fist.


["Drat! You rat!": photos by GH]

Sorry, I lied. I have to admit that it wasn’t ‘shortly after,’ it was ‘very shortly after.’

I say this knowing the admission will cause friend Don to laugh into his cereal bowl and wish I’d taken hid $5 bet.

That being said, with Don and others like him in mind, i.e., people who feel a squirrel-proof feeder will never exist, allow me to say I’m actually glad the attack happened early, and that I saw it happen. Sure, I regret the loss of seeds and manly pride (what’s left of it, anyway), but the lone raider at least quashed my dreams before they got too big for my head.

Plus, I already had a plan B firmly planted in my mind for the time when Plan A crashed and burned.

Wait ‘til you see it.

***

Please click here to read PT 3 A squirrel-proof feeder? We’ll see

.

No comments: