Thursday, December 15, 2011

Zoom w a View: Family photo circa 1958

On the back of this old picture are the words ‘Doug and Edith Harrison and family, December 1958.’


It was cold outside but warm inside the house, at least where we were sitting and standing, i.e., in front of the oil stove. The one stove pipe exitted the house; the upstairs, where we all slept, was not heated until a basement was dug under the house and an oil furnace installed.

My brother Kim (on Dad’s lap) and I - both in warm pajamas - seem to be looking into the next room, perhaps toward the Christmas tree. Kim seems happy with what he sees and I look a little sad and worried.

Did Santa discover I had cut the spokes on Sonny Bucholtz’s bicycle? Likely. My folks knew for certain.

Not that I would be without toys, however, on Christmas day. I could always play with my red building bricks (note cardboard tube at right edge of photo) or play Battleships with a piece of paper and pencil.

This year I’ve asked for Meccano. I hear it’s a step up.

***

Please click here for more Zoom w a View.

.

2 comments:

lanniedee said...

hey, what's with all the homely family pictures? don't tell anyone which one is me..ha, ha..those where the days..but we did have great times Christmas morning..don't know how they did it..you cut spokes out of a bike! Bad, bad...love L.Dee

G. Harrison said...

we did have fun at Christmas and I didn't get into too much trouble re the bicycle spokes; just got bawled out and then had to pay for damages. Mina Bucholtz chewed me out too but I deserved it.

Wait 'til you see the fashion show photos from the same era!

Cheers,

Gord