Monday, March 5, 2012

Zoom w a View: “Discovering Canada in one pair of pants”

I had lots of energy in 2007. Though I had finished training for yearly marathons by then (my last 26.2 mi. race - Boston 2005), I still had a runner’s heart and a pair of running legs.


I had a great motorcycle too. My 1984 Yamaha Virago 1000cc performed perfectly on the Trans-Canada highway linking Sudbury to Thunder Bay. It was a champion, the best bike on the road, I said to myself many times as I cruised around breath-taking curves, over rugged hills through tree-lined valleys.

And, though it looks like I’m carrying all my earthly possessions, I travelled over 3,500 kms. in one pair of sturdy Levis. I arrived home with 100s of photos and long yellowish-green stains upon my jeans, left there by the thousands of greasy bugs that perished between my knees and pockets.

With fuel prices rising, will I ever bike north of Lake Superior again?

[Photo by G.Harrison, 2007]

***

In spring I am heading west by train. Again I’ll pack only one pair of pants (but two pairs of shorts).

Click here to view more Zoom w a View.

.

No comments: