Thursday, May 17, 2012

Decluttering: “I’ll only keep one old greeting card”


I’m slowly sorting a thick pile of birthday and anniversary cards into two piles, i.e., ‘keepers’ and ‘losers’. The ‘losers’ will end up in the recycling bin; the ‘winners’ will stay in my desk drawer until it gets messy again and I have to declutter enough stuff to make room for, say, a new eraser.

Which one the following cards will I keep?


Keep the ‘old fart’ card? No. I don’t need to be reminded.


Keep the “not too shabby” note? No. If I live another 30 years I should get upgraded.


Keep ‘life is a journey’ behind a VW that looks like one from my past? No. I can’t run that fast anymore and the VW was pretty beat up by the time I sold it (for $50).


Should I keep the ‘chicken card’ that reminded my older son of me and my dad and “the chickens of Norwich?” Yes, because I have an empty frame and space on my wall beside my desk. The card was designed by Victor Lee and I have two of his prints on my living room wall. Cool.

Also, the pile is smaller and while cleaning my desk I found my guitar tuner. It’s a keeper too.

Keep decluttering out there. One day we’ll get down to the perfect amount of stuff to take to the Punkydoodle old folks home.

Punch line: Old fart, my eye! That smelled like a fresh one to me. Happy Birthday.

***

Do you hang onto old greeting cards? Why?

Please click here for more Decluttering
   

No comments: