Tuesday, May 22, 2012

“GO WEST, YOUNG MAN”: Day 4 - Photos from along the way

Day 4 - Tuesday, April 24: Edmonton to Edson

The train stopped in Edmonton for about 30 minutes, enough time to stretch my legs, get the wrinkles out and call home.


My journal reads as follows: “6:25 - As I recall the night’s journey was fast and bumpy, and rocky enough to wake me two times. Might have been my tiny bladder too.”

I started snapping a large set of photos for the day before I even phoned my wife. I wanted to make sure the train was still in one piece. It was. Shiny too.

Once aboard, I noticed many changes to the landscape as we made good time west toward Edson, a whistle stop my dad would have been familiar with from his Navy days.

[“From urban- to rural-scape in no time flat”]



[“One of Dad’s Navy buddies, Jan. 1944”: 
Dad’s finger, lower left corner]

After we left Edson, our cameras got busier. The scenery shifted to a different level, as vistas grew wider and higher.


Even under grey skies, travellers saw much to leave them in awe.



More to follow, from Edson to Jasper.


[Photos by G.Harrison]

***

Please click here to view other photos from my trip west.

No comments: