Wednesday, May 23, 2012

“GO WEST, YOUNG MAN”: Day 4 - Photos from along the way

Day 4 - Tuesday, April 24: Edson to the Rockies

Aim and click. Aim and click. On Day 4 I spent a lot of time repeating the same actions, along with dozens of other train passengers. I’d packed three cameras. I wanted to get my money’s worth.


[“In Jasper I switched to Economy Class and survived”]
With each passing mile I encountered scenes like I’d never seen before. Money’s worth? Don’t tell Via Rail. I would have paid more!

Had I travelled by motorcycle as I’d initially planned I would have not only needed twice as many days but three times as many camera cards. If I stopped the bike to take pictures I may have stayed in several spots for 15 minutes, 30 minutes, made some tea, made some phone calls. Gosh, I may never have made it to Vancouver Island.

In Dad’s naval memoirs I recall only one line that referred to the beauty of the views he’d seen during his own train ride west, or of the views from Comox, a small town only 30 minutes away from Mount Washington. Perhaps he could find no words to describe the scenes he had seen 30 years before penning his memoirs.

What words can I use? What words come to mind?


[Photos and a few words by G.Harrison]
***
Please click here to view more Photos from along the way 

No comments: