Saturday, May 12, 2012

“GO WEST, YOUNG MAN”: Goose Spit has a long neck


Dad wrote many stories about his ‘Navy days’, but I would say the following opening line to one particular story did a great deal to propel me westward recently, to Vancouver Island, to see what I could see related to his service there:

“In 1944 I was stationed in barracks on a piece of land called “The Spit” at Comox on Vancouver Island, B.C. About a half mile of water separated the spit from Comox and to get ashore we had to be inspected and travel to Comox in a real Liberty boat.”

While in Comox two weeks ago today, an archivist at the Comox Library had a large aerial photograph of the town on display and in it one can clearly see a Liberty boat docked at the end of a long pier. Behind it is The Spit, navy barracks and out buildings. 


My ride out to The Spit and long walk along part of the shore filled part of a very rewarding afternoon.

***

Please click here to read “GO WEST, YOUNG MAN: Chasing my dad Part 3 and see related photos.

.  
  

No comments: