Thursday, May 10, 2012

Zoom w a View: The Spit, Vancouver Island

This morning, during my search for an aerial photo of ‘The Spit’ on Vancouver Island, I came across two interesting shots.

One. An aerial view of The Spit. Now I know where my dad went swimming in 1944 - 45 while stationed there. Everywhere!

[The Spit, at Comox, Vancouver Island: Photo credit BC

Two. A picture of the boat I made (SS Silver Walnut 2) in 2010, to carry my dad’s cremated remains to Scotland via the Gulf Stream.

I reread the post I wrote to accompany photos of the wee boat and it may help people more fully understand my motivation for going east, then west, as mentioned in an earlier “GO WEST, YOUNG MAN” post.

[Materials: Cedar, spar varnish, walnut keel, nuts and bolts from Espanola: GH]

One day, my trips (to the eastern and western coasts of Canada) will all make sense to folks. 

And hopefully to my banker. Thanks for bumping up my debit card limit last month, Earl!

***

Please click here to link to “GO WEST, YOUNG MAN”: Chasing my dad Part 2

.

No comments: