Friday, June 29, 2012

It Strikes Me Funny: Who screamed again?

I was peacefully stirring milk and sugar into a cup of coffee last night when I heard a loud scream coming from the back deck. My spoon flew towards the toaster, but before it made a jarring, clattering sound I heard a second, almost identical scream.

I was sure the first scream came from my wife. And she was alone. Did she scream twice? If not her... who else screamed?

I turned to go outside, the many coffee splatters could wait, but my wife beat me to the door. In a rush she entered, panic and laughter mixed upon her face.

"I was waiting for you," she said, "and I felt something at my feet and screamed."

"What...? Who...?" I began.

"It was a raccoon, and as soon as I screamed it backed up and screamed too."

["Was that really me?" Raccoon photo link]

Stink! I wish I'd been there.

But would there have been a third scream? I won't know 'til next time.

***

Please click here for more It Strikes Me Funny

No comments: