Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Fun and Fitness: Exercise by the numbers

No doubt about it. I’m a numbers guy and the number 656, among other things, motivates me to ride my three bicycles, play hockey, regularly walk to where I’m going and, as happened recently, purchase heavier weights to lift while pedalling the exercise bike.


656 is a new record established during a week in August. 656 is the number of extra miles I’ve collected over the last two years beyond my 100 mile per week goal. (I collect miles on my exercise bike, by walking, etc.)

Typically, there are a few weeks per year when I cash in a few miles and take a break from the exercise routine. For example, during the week of Sept. 17 - 23 I travelled to Espanola, visited my brother in Port Franks and travelled to Fenelon Falls to say ‘happy birthday’ to my three-year old twin grand-daughters. 


Sure, I played hockey (6 pts.), walked and took a nice ride on a bike (22 mi.), but overall used up 64 of my ‘extra’ or excess miles.

 This week will be different. After last night’s (Tues.) ride I sit at 61 miles. I play hockey this afternoon (6 pts.) so will only need to pedal 33 more miles before Sunday to reach my 100 mile goal. Since I’m not going away, like last week, I’ll likely throw 20 - 30 more miles into the bank.

Numbers motivate me. So does the fact that, because of regular exercise, I’ll likely be able to keep Big Gary off the score sheet this afternoon with good defensive hockey and still have enough steam leftover to make an opposing goalie sweat a wee bit.

[“Yeah, yeah, that’s me on the left!”]

Ride on.

[Top two photos by G.Harrison : ) ]

***

Please click here for more Fun and Fitness
   

No comments: