Thursday, October 11, 2012

Live Small: “Are you saving for tough times?”


The saving $$ habit is almost completely formed. On a very regular basis, two seconds after I see my plastic savings jar beside my computer, I simply roll my chair over to the bookcase on the other side of my small den, take a buck out of the change bowl that sits beside my Speed Stick, roll back to my desk, and deposit $$ into the jar.

Why, if I live to be 100 I should end up with quite a stash. About $13,500! 


It took me about two months to get into the ‘save a buck a day’ habit and realize that, of course, I’m merely saving for future coffee breaks. Good thing I chose to live small during my work years and contributed to a pension plan and two RRSPs. 

'Tough times ahead': That’s why I now keep busy in the workshop and do a bit of freelance writing. And when the change dish runs dry, maybe I’ll learn how to sell a few things on kijiji. (Wanna buy an old coffee mug?)

Nobody else is going to pay for my coffee when I’m old and gray.

[Photos by G.Harrison]

***

Are you saving money today for tomorrow?

Please click here for more Live Small

No comments: