Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Reading, riding, and searching for clues

While reading upon my exercise bike I do not even realize I'm pedalling. It comes automatically, I've done it now for so many years.

["I didn't know the length of my journey until I put the book down"]

Last Sunday I travelled for over 45 miles oblivious, for the most part, to my surroundings. I pedalled, turned pages, put the book down three or four times to sip water from a cup nearby and lift weights, pedalled, turned pages, read about the sinking of the first boat sunk by Germany during the early days of WW2, September 3, 1939.

"...Miraculously, she righted herself. Hurriedly, more than a thousand passengers and crew scrambled into the boats. Most were saved, but 112 lost their lives, including 28 Americans. Sixteen children went down with the ship - the Athenia." (pg. xii, prologue, In Great Waters)

["The Epic Story of the Battle of the Atlantic, 1939 - 45"]

I've come to a few conclusions recently while reading and riding. I'll never get to the end of the books I want to read about WW1 and 2. I'll cover a lot of miles, however, and keep myself 'somewhat fit', while on the endless journey. By exercising regularly, I'll even help myself live a bit longer and get closer to the bottom of the pile of books.

As well, by reading particular books (e.g., In Great Waters) I catch an occasional glimpse of faint footsteps left by my father as he participated in the greatest adventure of many a young man's life during the WW2 years, 1939 - 1945.

More to follow.

***

Please click here for related matters

No comments: