Wednesday, May 29, 2013

avian antics

Something caught the corner of my eye yesterday - I turned my head; birds were afoot - and I quietly returned my hammer to the work bench. I reached for the camera in my back pocket. (The following shots were taken through my workshop window.

["I see you, Mrs. Cardinal, and I think you see me"]

["She rejoined her partner nearby"]

The female cardinal hopped behind a small bench and her mate came out of its shadows. They began talking about the different seeds they'd found upon the ground, and perhaps about me. I froze, and was soon a witness to behaviour and antics I'd not seen before.

[Male bird: "I've got a special morsel for you, Honey"]

Several times I saw the male offer a seed or two and feed the female. He would hop over to her, they would both turn their heads toward one another - as if to kiss - and he'd say, "Pop goes the weasel." (Or something to that affect.) Very interesting, in my opinion.

Better yet, on two occasions I saw the male dance in the air after the feeding ritual as if to say, "She likes me! She really likes me!"

["Yeeeeehaaaaa!!"]

Have you noticed this avian antic, or others?

Photos by GH

***

Please click here to view 'the curious Mrs. C.'

Please click on labels below for more re birds and birdhouses.

No comments: