Saturday, August 3, 2013

Food - E: It Strikes Me Funny

I'm thinking about transitioning from three meals per day to four. Not because I want to eat more food but because I want to eat less. I don't need more food. Just ask my stomach.

I think somebody other than me conditioned me to eat three meals per day. Maybe my mom, back when I was a kid, back in the days before every home in Norwich had hydro in every room and a flush toilet inside the house. But, that being said, maybe she was conditioned by her mom. And her mom by her mom, and so on and so on back to the day when people began to feel that breakfast at 8, lunch at 12 and supper at 6 (approx.) was just going to be the way it should be. So I don't blame anybody in particular. (But I do lean toward blaming the Anglo-Saxons.)

["Helpings are going over the top. Why?"]

Today I feel three meals per day just isn't working for me. Each meal is becoming excessive in size - with a capital E - and importance. Just about everywhere I turn breakfast, lunch and supper are heralded as HUGE events. The way things are going, food - and LOTS of it - will soon be crowned King of all the universe and everybody shall be bowing down before it.

It's up to me to do something radical to break the routine. I thought of a plan today while slicing a typical burger into two equal halves and saying, "I'll have the other half later 'cause the darn thing is so big." The plan is half-baked but important to my health.

Have you been thinking some of the same thoughts lately?

More to follow.

***

Please click here to read the ballot: it strikes me funny




No comments: