Monday, August 19, 2013

In London with Loot (1): "She's the boss"

About the last few days: My wife and I drove 1,000 kilometers from London to Kingston and back, endured thick holiday traffic both ways and put a dent in our savings, but we had a blast and returned last night loaded down with loot. Our car stops for yard sales and flea markets.

Today I'll slowly putter around the house, sort and put stuff away, all within my limited skill set. Already I've hung a new piece of wall art in my study, thanks to my lovely wife.

["Oh, this is perfect," she said to a vendor]

Yesterday morning, at a flea and antique market in downtown Kingston, she found a 1980s Mick Jagger LP that made her laugh. And because she laughed, I laughed too (after catching the title, i.e., 'She's The Boss').

[The back side of the LP also made us laugh]

Before hanging the album I checked the condition of the record and discovered it was not only mint but was further protected by a sturdy liner bearing a copy of a Lynd Ward woodcut

[More about Lynd Ward woodcuts - The Paris Review]  

My wife was happy at the time that the LP only set her back a few dollars. She's happier still to see it now hanging over my shoulder in my our study. 

["Hey, she's the boss"]

And I'm happy that she's happy. 

Photos by GH

***

Please click here to read the ballot: it strikes me funny

No comments: