Friday, November 29, 2013

bird feeder appears squirrel proof

Every year, for the last several, I've put out bird feeders. And every year I've encountered smart-witted squirrels who find weaknesses in my feeder placement and design. They've eaten more seeds than the birds and I've - figuratively - pulled out what's left of my hair. But, maybe things will be different this year.

["Standing tall, between my window and a blue spruce"]

["From the squirrel's point of view, impassable so far"]

I've implemented Plan 36, i.e., 'the plastic-bottle barrier', after growing tired of throwing tennis balls and pot lids out the study window at the frustratingly malicious critters. (Unfortunately, they are also lovingly furry and cute and my wife had a few words for me after discovering a pot lid she needed - among other things - was outside in the snow, inches from the back gate. I actually winged a squirrel with a flat, yellow, Frisbee-like lid. She wasn't impressed.)

["This one has tried several times to get up the pole"]

["But now he's walking away... walking away."]

So far, over a period of 3 - 4 days, no squirrels have been seen inside my feeder.

A small step for man...

Photos by GH

***

Please click here to read bird feeder needs one modification

No comments: