Friday, November 1, 2013

Gord finds another gold mine

I already have the rights to one gold mine. A lot of people will think that one is enough for an old guy my age. I say, think again.

["Take a good look at that long board"]

On Wednesday Big Steve (a defenceman on my hockey team) comes over to me during warmup and says, "Gordie, I have to tell you about some lumber I found."

So halfway into my slap shot drill I stop and listen, because I like stories about wood and Big Steve has never sent me down the wrong path. He tells me about a job he's doing and how he ran out of cedar in his truck so he went to the nearest lumber store in __________. (Location is now Top Secret!)

"Gordie!" he says, and he was getting excited and red in the face. "They've got 16-footers, BC cedar, clear as a bell. I thought of you right away. Gordie will love this stuff, I says to myself. And the price. Wait 'til I tell you the price."

Big Steve leans down and whispers in my ear, "$$$______!!" (More Top Secret stuff.)

And then we both fell over.

["There are two birdhouses on the board but a dozen in it!"]

Long story short. I went for a short drive yesterday (or was it long? I can't recall), picked up six 16-footers (total price $______!! Oh, man!), cut them in half so they could slide as easy as you please into my Civic, and laughed all the way home because the smell of beautiful cedar was so rich I got full after two deep breaths and realized I wouldn't have to buy any lunch.

As well, my head spinning - full of ideas - I looked forward to working with each new board.

Oh, I do like gold mines.

Photos by GH

***

Please click here to read Gord finds a gold mine

No comments: