Sunday, November 24, 2013

Shadow Box: "ready to go fishin'"

I have to go back in time - not too far - to explain the origin of the following idea: I should build shadow boxes in my workshop as a way to display items of interest to me, and perhaps to a fairly limited number of other folks. Like spigots, hand carved fish decoys, hammers. And century-old hinges from barn doors or gates.

["A new box, from old lumber, is freshly oiled"]

About two months ago, when I found myself with three different 100-year old hinges, I decided to show them off. The shadow box idea was born. Since that time a few people have joined me in thinking that some things should be displayed on a wall, not forgotten or buried under other stuff.

A recent visitor to my workshop really liked a display of fishing lures. "Can you make one like that for me?" he asked. "My son's hockey coach is a real fisherman."

["Linseed oil takes a few days to dry up"]

I can and I will. In fact, the box is well underway. Once it dries I'll fish around for a few lures. Should be finished by the end of the week.

Photos by GH

***

Please click here to view a finished shadow box carry a big mug

No comments: