Friday, January 31, 2014

World War 2: Recommended Reading 4

SIEGE: MALTA 1940 - 1943
by Ernle Bradford



I've been collecting and reading books concerning World War 2 for the last few years and because significant anniversaries related to war events* will occur this year I'll likely be reminded of the topics covered in several of my book choices.


While speaking with a WW2 veteran on the phone recently, I was told informed that the veteran was wounded during the invasion of Italy (Sept. 1943) and was hospitalized in Malta. I recalled my father was hospitalized there as well for dysentery. And I was also reminded of one book in my small WW2 collection about that island and recommend it today, for two reasons.


First, SEIGE: MALTA 1940 - 1943 by Ernle Bradford tells the story of a Mediterranean island that played a strategic role in the outcome of WW2. Both Allied and Axis forces wanted Malta in their possession because it served as key to controlling its region and beyond. One can measure Malta's importance by comparing the number of bombs dropped upon its head - and tonnage of war materials delivered to and through its ports - to any other island, other than England perhaps.


Second, some of the language strikes me as riveting and prose-like. I underlined or high-lighted several such sentences or paragraphs:

     it was Winston Churchill who now
     maintained that Malta must be held
     at all costs or the road to the east
     would be open to the Axis forces.

     In this view he was fully supported
     by his admiral, for Cunningham 
     had never had the slightest doubt
     about the small island's importance
     in any conflict that might take place
     in the Mediterranean.

     Fortunately for Malta, Hitler
     was considerably less percipient
     than his predecessor Napoleon. 

     An early German strike with their
     immense preponderance of air power
     against the poorly-equipped island
     might well have succeeded, and
     the face of history would indeed
     have been changed.   

I found my copy in a used-book store in Gananoque. I hedged for a few seconds because of the $6 price tag. I'm just a toot. It is definitely worth the price. It was worth the trip!


I now recommend you tramp through a favourite book store for your own copy.

* very significant anniversaries of WWI and WW2 events occur this year. WWI began in 1914, 100 years ago. WWII in 1939, 75 years ago.

Photos by GH

More WW2 Recommended Reading

No comments: