Friday, February 7, 2014

WW2: Recommended Reading 5


Several dozen books about World War II line a book shelf in my study. I plan to buy dozens more, each one another small yet important piece in a long wide puzzle that will never be made complete in my lifetime or anyone else's. Too many pieces. Too few memories on paper.

Even one event, like the Allied raid on Dieppe in August, 1942 is a jigsaw puzzle of very large size. So far, I only possess one book solely dedicated to it, and I recommend it here.



Like many of my books, I found a copy of Unauthorized Action in a used book store. The text is dense but flows along smoothly. Photographs are helpful, authentic, and chiefly from the National War Museum, Ottawa. The book informs us there is an official text re the Dieppe raid that argues 'that many lessons of great value were learned from Dieppe', but I am not surprised many questions and opposite reactions remain 'til this day.

["Though some lessons were learned, we can now
see that none were unknown beforehand..."]

["...or could not have been learned far more
easily and at far less cost by other means."]

My father, who missed participating in the raid by one day, summarized a newspaper column about it in this way:

     So much has been written and captured films televised,
     with many reasons given for the raid. Possibly much was
     learned but I am convinced much more was lost.
     (The Norwich Gazette, 1992)

I highlight one paragraph in the book's introduction to whet your appetite for books concerning the raid:


If you like tramping around used book stores I say your efforts will be well-rewarded once this book is found.

Photos by GH


No comments: