Monday, June 23, 2014

East Coast 2014, Day 15

I have full days ahead in Ottawa. The War Museum and National Library and Archives were on my itinerary for today.

The War Museum, about one kilometre west of the Parliament Buildings, is a surprising, interesting and peaceful place. It is home to very good exhibitions of war stories, materials and art, and when one feels the desire to sit down and think of men and women who serve or served in Canada's armed forces, there is a quiet Memorial Hall.

Today at the museum I made some interesting contacts in the research department, purchased an important book about the invasion of North Africa in 1942 (my father's barge landed with American Rangers at Arzeu and he wrote about hiding behind a bulldozer blade when sniped at, and how the Yanks cleared up the problem; I found a book about those days within three minutes and browsed for an hour more, always a good time for me), and connected with an employee who invited me back on Wednesday to meet a 92-year old WW2 veteran who was in RCNVR and Combined Operations at the same time as my father. I am hoping for a spirited, informative conversation.

I had a fruitful time at the Library and Archives as well and return there tomorrow to start the process of requesting my father's Navy records. I am hoping to receive, one day, a mitt full!

Photos from along the way:






Photos by GH

No comments: