Monday, June 16, 2014

East Coast 2014, Day 8 (b)

Halifax

I left Prince Edward Island on the 9:30 a.m. Woods Island ferry and because I was the only motorcyclist I was treated like royalty. First on, first off, first one to take pictures from the upper deck. Though I was hoping to out-run the rain thanks to my early start, I had to stay in my rain gear - for good reason - almost all the way to my Barrington Street lodgings.

["Gray skies followed me almost all the way to Halifax"]

Because of rain I made changes to my route south from PEI to Halifax. Instead of hurrying along on major highways, I slipped onto secondary roads, stuck to an easy pace and was seldom bothered by traffic, especially big trucks coming up behind me while I was singing old, familiar country tunes.



["Looking south, then north on Highway 2
between Truro and Halifax. No rain!"]

For photos I pulled over one or two more times and once in a sunny and bustling Halifax I pulled over to take off wet, heavy, and hot rain gear. What a treat it was to spread out wet gear in my hostel room, store the bike, then change into T-shirt, light pants and a pair of sandals for a refreshing walk for groceries. 

["My last road-side photo, 30 km. north of Halifax"]

Tomorrow will be a long day - including a search for the exact spot where I sent my Dad's ashes on a final voyage - so it's early to bed tonight for me.

More to follow.


No comments: