Monday, June 2, 2014

East Coast

Perfect Packing 2014

["Heavy load in 2010, most was necessary (so I thought)"]

In June 2010 I over-packed my bike for a heavy-duty trip to the East Coast. My bike worked so hard it popped an odometer cable shortly after I turned onto Robie Street, downtown Halifax. I don't blame it. This year I will pack my bike perfectly. Oh yeah, you'll see.

I'll attach one black magnetic bag - with camera, pen, paper and granola bars - to the gas tank, two black saddle bags over the rear tire (for rain gear, some food and cooking gear) and two black leather bags to the seat and luggage rack behind me. I'll cut the amount of clothes and foot wear in half (Halifax hostel has a washing machine!) and wear a black jacket and gloves. The bike won't even know I'm there and will thank me later.



I peruse detailed maps almost daily and have found several new secondary roads, often running close and almost parallel to the Trans-Canada Highway, to explore and endlessly photograph. That being said, there are several places I'll will visit again. There's no way I'm going to pass up a second chance to visit Carl's Dairy Bar at Perth-Andover (north of Woodstock, on my way to Fredericton). And I'm already prepared for the question Carl will ask me when I drop by.

Q: "You want cheese with that burger, Son?"

A: "Yessir!"

I leave this time next Monday. I pack my rain gear tonight.

Photos from East Coast 2010

["I added more ballast to Dad's boat and she straightened right up"]

 ["In Quebec, South of Riviere du Loup"]

 ["World's best cheese burgers, so say many hungry motorcyclists"]

 ["I discovered the world's longest covered bridge by accident"]

["My walking route to Isaac's Way Restaurant, Fredericton"]

 ["Rest stop in Pugwash, on my way to Halifax"]

["Rest stop along old Trans-Canada, still in New Brunswick"]

["My first photo in Halifax, inside my hostel"]

Link to East Coast

Photos by GH

No comments: