Thursday, August 21, 2014

Halifax and Another Hard Promise

Heart of the Matter


Part 6 - Another Hard Promise

- June 2014

I made it out of the woods in June 2010 and shortly thereafter found a great spot to sit, think and toss a solid boat as far as I could into the Atlantic Ocean. In June 2014 I found the same location - much faster and easier than the first time - and did much the same thing, minus the boat tossing event.

While listening to the waves and enjoying the breeze I read a piece of prose written a few day earlier and in so doing made another hard promise to my father.

Prose for Pennant Point

For the second time I return
to this rock at Pennant Point

I want to be near you
and remember you well

The first time I came in order to
toss your ashes onto the waves
of the Atlantic because you wanted
this important thing - to be buried at sea

You told me so, passionately,
and I won't forget the day

But on that day when you looked for
agreement, at least some understanding,
you received conflict, enough to
chew on until mother's death

After that, you chose to be buried with her at 
Quaker Street Cemetery, hometown Norwich
and so you were, my man, but only in part

Another part found the sea in a cedar boat
humbly made - the S.S. Silver Walnut -
by my own hand, in June 2010


And today here I am again, Dad

I found the spot where you received
your wish, a spot lovely and hard
lively and like home where waves
make noises like family voices

Here you are with all of us, your wife
and kids laughing lapping lingering

And here I stand with another hard promise.
Once I said, you will be buried at sea after all.
Today I say, I'll return with more of
your grateful and understanding kin. 

One day in the future, while sitting at my favourite spot along the Atlantic Coast, I will know it's time to stop making promises to my father. But I feel that day may be a long way off.

Link to Halifax and Another Hard Promise. 

Photos GH

No comments: