Tuesday, September 30, 2014

It Strikes Me Funny

I Offer Free Delivery

 ["I will leave the squirrel trap outside for one more day"]

At my house there are two sides to discussions about trapping and relocating squirrels. I'm in favour. My wife is not. Outside my house the issue reveals many more sides.

Some folks trap and kill squirrels (often by drowning). Some use pellet guns to injure them. Some trap and deliver city squirrels to the country. Others feed squirrels, put up with them, shake their fist at them while watching seed-mix disappear from their bird feeders, try to make 'squirrel-proof' feeders using a wide variety of methods, etc. There seems to be as many ways to deal with squirrels as there are squirrels. I think most people just put up with them. (In many countries, including England and USA, squirrel meat is sold in butcher shops or appears on the menu).

["Gotchya. Enjoy your carrot - w PB - while I deliver you to a new address"]

I guess I fall somewhere in the middle. I don't want to shot them or cook up Brunswick Stew while the North American food basket is so full w other good choices. With my humane trap from Lee Valley I catch a few squirrels on occasion, i.e., when they regularly get into my feeder after I've tried a dozen ways to stop them from the practice. I then put them on the back of my bike or into the trunk of my car and deliver them to various green areas on the other side of the Thames River. "Sometimes they beat me back home," I like to say, because I think it's true.

My actions are all perfectly legal (according to City by-laws) but I know I put some peoples' noses out of joint.

About that. Opinions are like noses. Everybody has one. 

Link to "Kapoweee!" says the Squirrel

Photo GH

No comments: