Sunday, June 28, 2015

Birdhouse Hunting - Purple Martins

Visit Port Bruce


It's still true. Port Bruce is the Birdhouse Capital of Southwestern Ontario, maybe all of Canada. And as soon as I'd parked my bike near the main drag this past Friday I noticed a large birdhouse near the channel was active. Purple Martins? I had to get closer.



Purple Martins darted here and there and the occasional sparrow made an appearance as well. This is the second time I've seen sparrows and martins share a box. The first time was several years ago in Goderich, Port Albert or Bayfield, in large communal boxes near the main beach.

Instead of going on a wild goose chase to the above-mentioned Lake Huron destinations, visit Port Bruce on the north shore of Lake Erie. The Martins are very active, feeding their young broods. Especially check out Rush Creek Rd. west of the highway leading into Pt. Bruce.

Happy hunting.

Link to Motorcycle Miles - Port Burwell

Photos GH

No comments: